Monday, January 14, 2008

Respecting the dignity of every human being ...

We always seem to get on our civil rights high-horses when this topic raises it's philantropic head -- and rightly so. What's happening in Darfur is unconscienable. Extremists and power-mongers world wide are oppressing and displacing people right and left. We pray diligently in our services and our private prayers for the victims of these horrid attrocities. But I wonder, does anyone ever pray for the terrorists? What would happen if we launched a communion-wide prayer discipline of praying for Osama Bin Ladin, the Taliban, and their desperate suicide bombers who feel their only recourse in this world is to blow themselves up? Do we ever pray for them to have a change of heart? For them to feel God's Love and know what is right?



I posed this question to several friends across the country. I was met with answers that ranged from "I'm not there yet; I just can't pray for them" to "no one has ever asked me that ..... I think it's about time we do. Do we have a choice?" "I bet it'd make a difference." Hmmmmm. somewhere between hostile and non-committal. It's that old "great idea! You do it." mentality.

So really, are we ready to look beyond the obvious and actually lift prayers for the perpetrators of the terror? Care to join me?

2 comments:

Gail said...

Thanks, Praying for them is one thing we CAN do.

John Hanscom said...

From the BCP, p. 816

6. For our Enemies

O God, the Father of all, whose Son commanded us to love our enemies: Lead them and us from prejudice to truth: deliver them and us from hatred, cruelty, and revenge; and in your good time enable us all to stand reconciled before you,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.