Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Reflections on today's work

I had a client today .......... not the first time I've seen her but she's still fairly perplexed by the energy work that I do when I work with her. She asked me at one point if I was channeling energy into her side and I said something about how I consider it just "holding the sacred space" so she can heal at her own rate with her own understanding. She was processing the pain she felt in her side and then she then asked me a question that is still making me think. She said, "is the Sacred Space where it hurts?"

I didn't know how to answer that, frankly! I think I glossed over it with some kind of healer-psycho-babble but I'm not sure. What does the pain our bodies carry tell us about the aches in our souls? What does the pain in our body tell us about our spiritual connection (or lack thereof)? As anyone in physical medicine knows, pain is a sign that something isn't right: over stretched, over worked, just plain tired. But how does our spiritual pain manifest to give us those warning signs that our psyche's and spirits are overstretched, over-worked, and just plain tired? I wonder. I know from experience, my own and helping others in their journeys that if we ignore the spiritual pain long enough it becomes physical. But I have to wonder....

So, I pose the question to all our readers:

is the Sacred Space Where it Hurts?

1 comment:

John Hanscom said...

Great thought.

I don't know enough about your practice to say what should and should not be said. My for-what-it's worth answer to the general question, however, is, "Often, yes!"

When we enter the Sacred Space, we are often "brought short," and we see how far from the goal we are. St. Paul anguishes over doing things he should not and not doing what he should. I am certainly no St. Paul.

Immediately after his anguish, though, Paul then rejoices it is not up to him, but he has been justified [whatever that means] by God through Christ. The pain is temporary; the healing is eternal.

If there can be a psychosomatic illness, surely there can also be a "somapsychotic" element as well, where body pain alerts us to "soul sickness." How this manifests probably varies from individual to individual, but there is no doubt [to me] there is sometimes a connection between the Sacred Space and pain.