Thursday, January 10, 2008

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Now, this is why I moved to Alaska! The snow might keep me in if I didn't have my dog this winter; but as it is, Daisy and I have taken four walks in the ever-deepening snow since yesterday evening in addition to her "I'm bored" trips up and down the stairs.


We were out after I got home from seeing a movie (The Waterhorse .... yeah; it's worth it). It was so quiet out this afternoon, profoundly so, even in the middle of the day! (Walking through the snow is much like walking on sand at the beach: you can definitely feel the extra effort). But as Daisy and I rounded the corner on our walk, all I could hear was the sound of our breathing, and the snow crunching underfoot. A few little birds were darting in and out of the trees, chirping their teasing song at Daisy. She wasn't paying attention; it was too interesting on the ground.

But back to the silence. I wondered how differen I would be if I didn't have the distractions of television, movie theaters, car travel, and a cell phone. I thought about my ancestors who trekked their way through the Blue Ridge and Applaichan mountains before there was so much noise. How different it is to be alone with yourself and the silence of snow.

I thought about the native peoples of this land who had to face six month of darkness -- how would I feel about it if there was no light at all save a fire in the middle of the room?

As we move through our own bleak midwinters, I'm curious about the awareness this walk will bring to each and every person who sets of on it.

No comments: