Thursday, January 24, 2008

Psalm 56.12-13

My vows to you I must perform, O God; I will render thank offering to you. For you have delivered my soul from death, and my feet from falling, so that I may walk before God in the light of life.

This Psalm is attributed to David, and it is thought he composed it when the Philistines seized him in Gath. Not suprising, as with Psalm 26 and others, it is another prayer for deliverance from personal enemies. It was sung to the tune "The Dove on Far-off Terebinths," and we have no idea what that tune sounded like.

This was written when he was in the midst of his struggles, not when they were over. Nevertheless, David has absolute trust in God. The last two verses above are not "bargaining with God" ["If you save me. I will do this or that!"], but David's response to the graciousness of God, even in the midst of trouble.

It would be nice, on our walk to Jerusalem, to pray for the assurance of David - even when trampled on, even when oppressed, even when others stir up strife, even when they hope to have our life, we put our trust in God. We remember God knows our tossing and tears, and God is for us. That's why we perform our vows and give thanks, in the light of life.

... what can flesh do to me? ... What can a mere mortal do to me? ...

No comments: